Sunday, September 18, 2016

Digital Blog #B /Chapter 2

                         

The most relevant concept I encountered while reading was the discussion the future teachers explored about technology integration as new teachers (Maloy, et al, 2013, p. 22).  I saw myself in both Max and Ava. What I realized was that I wasn’t alone in my hesitations and fears. As a future physical education teacher, I wonder how can technology be integrated regularly into curriculum when the majority of my teaching will be done outside in a hands-on matter. Interestingly, I found myself fixated on one of the questions that was posed, “does every lesson benefit from the use of technology?”  I can say with satisfaction, I don’t think so, but some use I have come to realize, will offer varied and improved teaching. Therefore, I would definitely classify myself as a “see very little promise” type of teacher (p.26).

So, another interesting concept brings me to truly question my positioning of being the type of teacher who sees very little promise. Because of my awareness of the astounding studies that cite students who are not engaged by the use of differing instructional methods become more prone to not being successful in class, I have to find a way to integrate technology. Some of the more realistic methods mentioned that I can see myself using in my classroom would be to access the web for videos on health and fitness. I can even extend it beyond and see myself incorporating technologies that allow students to access programs like Fooducate to track their nutrition and fitness programs and devices like Fitbit to bring into in-class discussions.

Overall, I see a little clearer the fact that my actions cannot “extend the digital disconnect so many students perceive between themselves and their schools (p. 41).” 




Resources

Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

Designer. (n.d.). Retrieved September 10, 2016, from http://www.fitbit.com/

Lose weight & improve your health with a real food diet | Fooducate. (n.d.). Retrieved September 11, 2016, from http://www.fooducate.com/

B. (n.d.). You Can Do It by bknickels - ToonDoo - World's fastest way to create cartoons! Retrieved September 16, 2016, from http://www.toondoo.com/cartoon/10398025

No comments:

Post a Comment