Tuesday, October 25, 2016





Chapter 9, Expressing Creativity with Multimedia Technologies, has probably been the most useful chapter for me so far. It has definitely made me question things about technology use in the classroom the most. Overall, in this chapter, I learned about the different functions, uses, and limitations of so many technology tools available for teachers and students alike. What was expressed very well was the fact that students learn best when they are presented with the various ways technology can be included in teaching. In fact, the chapter focused on explaining how multimedia technologies function under the idea that combining more than one mode of learning in teaching situations produce better learning results for most students. Specifically, the overwhelming research supports the fact that students that experience multimodal learning perform better than students who only experience single-mode learning. Interestingly, I don’t question those findings. I don’t even disagree with the evidence surrounding the claim. It makes sense logically. I know I personally even like a lesson better when my teachers add various technology components into a lesson versus a straight professor-based lecture. However, what has me deep in thought about the whole concept is how did the pre-21st century produce well educated people when their learning was undoubtedly single-mode? What should we accredit the actual shift stemming from: how people actually learn or the actual learning devices they now have to learn with? Regardless of whether the chicken came before the egg or the egg came before the chicken, it’s no doubt the current generation fair better in their learning process when they are provided a multitude of technologies.

Another interesting thing I liked in this chapter was focused on outlining the use of PowerPoint. Although the software is common and has been in use for many years, I found a couple things very interesting as it relates to its use in education within the schooling system. The software allows information to move “beyond the basics.” The program allows for text-based information to be integrated into slides and then have visuals, videos, pictures, graphs, music, and still and moving images embedded into it. These additives, when added to substance, offer learners a memorable learning experience. However, the point I never thought of before is that the frills of the graphics can mask or even destroy the importance of the information needed to be delivered. Sometimes people can get caught up in how slides dance and move and not focus on the content or those creating the slides can have their creative vulnerability exposed when they don’t produce slides that help enhance their material? My understanding now is clear; the use of PowerPoint presentations should be used only as a means to bring content rich information to life so that it generates interactive discussions that help engage in the learning process. No matter how flashy the presentation is, if the information isn’t rich then the technology has failed at its job of enhancement.

Lastly, I fell in love with the tech tools listed within the chapter, specifically TeacherTube. I actually signed up for the resource just to check it out and see what it offers. Immediately, I was in love. It is easy to access and it is full of all kinds of resources on a million different topics. TeacherTube allows for you to plug in a topic and every video I think ever made on the topic is generated. I like that the search does not require you to be too specific. When I looked at different areas within my education field, physical education, I was happy to finally see a tool I could use to bring into my classroom as a non-core instructional teacher. From videos on healthy eating, nutrition, sports, injuries, drugs, sex education, and more, there are educational videos on every topic. I even wonder if I were to sign up as a teacher would I have even more access to even more resources?


Overall, chapter 9 was filled with a lot of beneficial information. There is no doubt that using multiple tools of technology will help students learn and remember information more. The only thing educators must remember is that even with technology at its fingertips, it’s not helpful if the material is not enriching. 


 Resources

Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, IncBryce Nickels Prezi

No comments:

Post a Comment